2011 World Series of Poker

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by World Peace, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I'm digging the live coverage of the event on espn2. ESPN is finally doing this right. The game has changed immensely since the days of Chris Moneymaker. The game went from tight is right to aggressive and reckless is the only way to play. Any poker fans here?

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yep, how about a blog update?

its all good though.

I watch the WPT mostly though. And I agree that the pros are now so wacked out its basically gambling - lol

3. World Peace

my poker blog is dead :( sucks that online poker is illegal. a few years ago... AQ suited was an automatic fold to a 3 bet... now.. everyone is trying to out play the next guy

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I don't like the new live format. I was watching last night and found it a little harder to keep up with everything that was going on. I doubt I'll watch again until the final table.

5. World Peace

I enjoyed it because I felt like I was playing the tournament and I have to figure out what the player is doing based on their body language, betting patterns, etc etc.

I'm also digging the coverage WITHOUT norman chad. Color commentary has its place but I enjoy hearing esfandiari and hellmuths commentary much more than anything norman chad has to say.

I think this live, but delayed 30 mins, format is here to stay. Its like hellmuth said last night... Many of the pros were not very big fans of the hole card cam when that started about 10-15 years ago.

I always hated looking at the spoilers online and having to wait for the footage to edited and before you got to see what happened.

Imagine having to watch football games a few days after they actually happened. I guess they did that back in the old days.

One thing I thought was weird... was how did a boyfriend and girlfriend get sat right next to each other at the feature table.

In the interest of fairness wouldnt you atleast put one on one side of the table and another on the opposite side and watch them with a hawkeye to make sure they arent colluding?

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I thought Norman Chad was really funny, but you're right, he added absolutely nothing to the broadcast and I really enjoy listening to Hellmuth when he's talking poker.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I like the new broadcast style. but I'd like to see both types of broadcast.

The old broadcast made poker what it is today. Poker needed that. For the first time the developed poker stars, personalities, and you rooted for and against poker players. It de-mystified the game and allowed the casual viewer to enjoy it. It was entertaining. Moving to mutiple tables to see how the entertainers and poker stars were doing makes it interesting even if it is not live. It made it watchable.

The new format cannot do that nearly as well, but it does allow you to play along, and it does make it live, and it is much more about the game than the entertainment. But poker used to do that a long time agi, and it didn't work, and it didn't launch poker mainstream. So they failed at this before serveral times.

So i think they need both the "sportscenter" type broadcast and the "live" broadcast for it to work longterm.

As for the agressive style of playing I love that it drives the pro's nuts. The game is still the same game. There's no reason a pro shouldn't learn how to evolve with the gameplay. You can still take advantage of agressive players. Nothing has changed. You can still make reads. the Cards have not changed. the rules are the same. The best style deserves to win.

8. USAF_Titans7

USAF_Titans7 Starter

Love the WSOP. Watch it every year, except for this year being over here in Afganisthan.

Phil Hellmuth is probably my favorite by far. Very knowledgable and love the way he plays at the table. Funny to!

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Keep that beer cold for the pilots, unless you are a pilot. In that case I got dibs on your stereo.

KIDDING there fellow zoomie.

what is your AFSC?

10. USAF_Titans7

USAF_Titans7 Starter

2A654. On the A-10's, C-130's, and HH-60's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar