2011 NFL Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Courtesy Flush

Courtesy Flush 49er fan

It is.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

My Titans 5-step free agency plan:

Step #1 - Make salary-cap cuts! We currently $10.6 mil under, if we cut VY/Hope/Gage we'd be $33.4mil under. Without those three salary cuts, no big free agency signing will happen.

Step #2 - Must fix the O-Line. Last year our line was just average, Stewart, Roos, and Scott were fine, but LG/C was terrible. It didn't help that the opposing defense stacked the box everytime. LeRoy Harris is a FA, and we have no true backup. With Munch and Matthews we should be able to land someone by saying, "you'll get coached by two of the best OL in history". My personal favorite target is Harvey Dahl, Falcons have 3 OL that are free agents and it's unlikely they have money for all three. Harvey is a mean and nasty LG, and JUST turned 29 (so he has another 4-5 years in him). Harvey at LG could be the missing player we need to solidfy that OL. Improving the OL would help out the entire offense, Harvey has given up five sacks in his past 43 starts. I also like: Davin Joseph and Marshal Yanda.

Step #3 - Vet QB.
    No doubt the Titans trust Jake Locker, but they don't want to throw him in the starting role Week 1, especially with the lockout and a shortened offseason. A vet QB is needed, just a one year fix is really all that's needed. My favorite option: Matt Hasselbeck. He's a proven vet QB, that's extremely smart when it comes to playbooks. Mike Reinfeldt was in the Seahawks organzation and knows Matt on a personal level. Matt is looking for a starting role, and a chance to stay in the NFL for a few more years, we give him that chance. Hasselbeck would have a great locker room presence and be a good mentor/role model for locker. I also like: Donovan McNabb.

Step #4 - SS
    Any true Titans fan knows how much a liability Chris Hope is. I don't want to completely bash the guy because he's had a great career.. but his time is up. Interesting fact: Chris Hope is the highest paid strong-safety in 2011. My favorite answer: Melvin Bullitt. Melvin is only 26, and is looking for a longterm deal. He's been the longtime backup for Bob Sanders, whos now gone. As a start Bullitt has had 149 tackles in 29 starts, but he isn't a liability in coverage and that's the most important thing. Also, it leaves a HUGE hole for the Colts at safety. I also wouldn't mind: Michael Huff or Tom Zbikowski.

Step #5: Depth at the Front 7
    We have some talent in the front 7. Morgan shows some promise, and Jason Jones had a great year. Tony Brown is also solid. Then we have a lot of young guys like Morgan (again), Ayers, McCarthy, Curran, McRath, Casey that hopefully step up. But a vet presence is needed, Witherspoon is average at best and we have problems with our DTs staying healthy. Since 4 of our biggest FAs come from the front 7 (Tulloch, Babin, Ford, and Ball) we'll need to make some moves. Some vets I like: Tommie Harris and Rocky McIntosh. Both are 28, and both can play. Rocky has played in both the 4-3 and 3-4, some he'd be versatile in our new scheme being able to play 4-3 or 3-4. Rocky would also be cheaper than Tulloch. Tommie Harris, who was cut by the Bears is looking for a new team and to proove he has something left in the tank. Tommie would allow Jason Jones to switch to DE if needed. I'd also like the Titans to pickup additional DE help, or re-sign Ford/Ball (probably Ball).

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Are we trying to do anything? Has anyone heard? Besides the Hasselbeck thing...are we even trying? I see all these other big signings and oh wait it's the Titans, what was I thinking :hmm:

4. 24

24 Starter

I'm still in awe we gave Amano $26 million over 5 years...

^Always smart to wait out the hype of free agency, the best GMs always do. We hate it now, but are thankful later. Look at Kolb, his value has dropped significantly in the past 24 hours, merely by waiting.

5. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Jets are in contact with Asomgauh (or however its spelled),why doesn't this suprise me?

6. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

Stallworth's a redskin

Santonio Holmes resigned by jets

Bob sanders to the chargers

Apparently a bidding war going on for Rice between Seattle and the vikes

Spikes to chargers, steelers resign Ike Taylor

Redskins sign dt cofield

Also (nonplayer) Tom coughlin gets an extension

7. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Damn flush. Looks like Gore is prepared for a holdout in S.F.

8. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

turns out Leinart is staying in Houston

supposedly the Dolphins and Broncos are in trade talks for Orton

Jets still talking to Nmandi

Browns cut Jake Delhomme

Panthers resign DeAngelo Williams to a 5 year deal

9. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

Orlando Mare goes to another team

10. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

The Titans have much bigger fish to fry than going after scrubs in free agency. Everyone is getting massively overpaid right now.

DeAngelo Williams just signed for 5 years, $43 million and $21 million in guarantees. That will set a bar for Chris Johnson. He's going to want more than that. The front office needs to be working on that deal, not trying to sign Malcom Floyd or some other piece of crap.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar