2008 Tightends

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Architect, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Architect

Architect Pain Train

One position that I think could help our offense is a reliable tight end. I would love to have a TE that could stretch the field, like what Troupe was supposed to do. But I would take a reliable well rounded sure handed TE that could get open similar to Wycheck.

here are the top 10 according to nfldraftcountdown.com

1. John Carlson Notre Dame
    6-6 259 4.70
    2. Fred Davis USC
    6-4 245 4.75

3. Martellus Bennett Texas A&M
    6-7 253 4.80

4. Martin Rucker Missouri
    6-6 255 4.70

5. Dustin Keller Purdue
    6-4 240 4.65
    6. Jermichael Finley Texas
    6-5 240 4.65
    7. Brad Cottam Tennessee
    6-8 270 4.75
    8. Kellen Davis Michigan St.
    6-6 253 4.85
    9. Jacob Tamme Kentucky
    6-5 240 4.60
    10. Craig Stevens California
    6-5 258 4.75

I personally like Fred Davis (he is a little small for an NFL TE), Martin Rucker, and Martellus Bennett but i dont know much about the rest. Ur thoughts?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I like Davis as well. And I'm not concerned with the size (Dallas Clark) but want someone who knows where to find the seams and has great hands.

3. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I've only seen the 3 big 12 tight ends and fred davis play and I would love to have any of those 4 on our team. I would think bennett, rucker, and finley would all fall to the 3rd which might not be a bad investment.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Martellus Bennett!

5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Bennett is completely untapped as a talent, he was coached by sponge bob and patrick in college he has the ability to be the premier TE in the NFL within two or three years. I would even take him in the 1st round if i thought he might not be there in the 2nd. That is how good I think he can be in the NFL.

I would also consider taking Jermichael Finley if we don't take one in the first two rounds.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Davis impressed me the most of the guys I've seen (him, Carlson, Bennett, Rucker, Tamme, and Cottam). He looks like the best combination of receiving threat and decent blocking.

Bennett didn't get a lot of receiving opportunities when I saw him. Didn't look quite as athletic, but may be a better blocker.

Carlson is a nice combo of solid blocking and receiving. He's my fav behind Davis.

Rucker hardly blocked when I saw him, and was not very impressive when he did. I just don't see this type of TE fitting our offense well. Same goes for Tamme. But at least Rucker has the frame to maybe become a better blocker....and of course maybe more work there will help since he didn't do it a lot out of the Mizzo spread.

Cottam could be as good or maybe better than Carlson imo. He's just inexperienced and you have to be worried about if he's an injury prone guy. He's a risky guy I'd feel a bit more comfortable about taking a chance on than normal. Maybe in the 3rd at the earliest. But I think he could only go there if he has a pretty good combine at his size.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I Would go Davis, Carlson, Bennett. Tamme or Finley would be 3rd rounders if we don't have a TE like Crumpler or a drafted TE.

Davis plays bigger than his size would indicate and played in a pro style offense and was outstanding. He is sure handed and has the speed to stretch the seam plus he works hard at blocking.

Carlson has a the prototype size and speed and is sure handed. Not sure about his blocking but has the tools to be a force.

Bennett could be a absolute nightmare with his size, speed, and athleticism. He could be a bigger Gates with some added bulk and decent coaching.

8. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I like Cottam and have been watching him all year, or at least when UT would throw to him. UT seldom throw to TE's so they don't have much in the way of numbers to look at, but he reminds me, a lot, of Whitten. I also like his size 6-7 and 275 ish, and a little straight line speed for such a big guy, yes he has had some injury issues but if he is still there at 3 I would take him in a heart beat.

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I'll say that Cottam was Tennessee's second best tight end on the field. He has always been an athletic freak that hasn't produced very well when it came to actually playing football. He has had some pretty freakish runs after the catch from time to time though... an interesting late round prospect, but I don't think he deserves to be ranked even as high as he is here.

10. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Anybody got an idea of which are better blocks, pass receivers, athletic, well rounded?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar