12 Weird Museums

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

2. CRUDS

CRUDS TRADE DOWN Tip Jar Donor

The museum of bad art is my favorite..

Years ago I used to frequent "You've Got Bad Taste" which was owned by Exene Cervenka and had a museum dedicated to X.. Lotsa art by folks like GG Allin and Gacy.. great little shop indeed..
  3. Smudger

Smudger Starter

Whilst on holiday in France we were travelling around and saw a Foie Gras Museum. With everything else shut we went in just for something to do, I have never been to a worse museum.

I say museum it was one small room with a couple of chairs in front of a TV screen showing a video about the force feeding of geese and how they are kept in the dark for a month before coming to an end that is more like something from Silence of the Lambs.

In between the slaughter they did add this bit of information, and I quote, "some geese are so handsome they are gay" as if that was an important part of the presentation. The rest of the room was a combination of the tools used to kill them and lots of small porcelain geese in happy poses.

Shouldn't really have been a surprise, was it going to be?

Not sure about weird but it certainly was bad.
  4. RTH

RTH Meh...

You watched a video like that... and noticed you were surrounded by the same slaughtering devices? I'm just impressed you walked out of there alive...
  5. avvie

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole Tip Jar Donor

Thing is, that's the way to make bad foie gras. :(

One farmer found that the best foie gras comes from very happy geese fed very good food (forgot what) and free-roaming around the farm. If they're happy, they will call out to passing migrating flocks and tell them to stay at the farm with them. It's a great system.

I'm not looking for the link, but the info is available in a talk on ted.com.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  6. avvie

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole Tip Jar Donor

Re: the ramen museum:

Back in the day, when I became a financially stable adult, I swore I would never eat ramen noodles again.

Then I moved out here. There are restaurants devoted to nothing but ramen.... and lemme tellya, ramen done right is some good eats! Sometimes at lunch I'm all like "man, I could use some noodles today!..." and Traci makes a kickass kim chi ramen soup! :pant:
    • High Five High Five x 1
  7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

The thing about amazing Fois Gras was done by Dan Barber, I believe. It really was pretty amazing.
  8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I have also made the same exact proclamation, only to find myself eating it again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.