1080p "soap opera effect"

Discussion in 'Gear' started by CRUDS, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Anyone here bothered by this other than me?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I haven't had an issue with it but here's a little help if you need it.

"By Soap Opera effect, I'm assuming that you mean that it takes on a camcorder-ish/birthday party looking feel. In my house, we call this the PBS effect. Basically, what's happening is the Auto Motion 120Hz option is taking the original source material filmed at 24 fps and is artifically adding in additional frames between the existing frames which kicks the fps closer to 29.97, which is standard video. The positive side effect of this is that it makes motion much less blurry so even the fastest movements are crisp and clear (great for sports). The downside is that it can make even the most epic big budget movies (I died laughing when watching Lord of the Rings like that) look like amateur stageplays on a fake set.

Here's the good news though. You can turn it on and off under Picture settings whenever you like. Turn it on for Sports, games and sitcoms. Turn it off for movies. "

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

^ Thanks Jeff..
    I've actually Googled the "issue" and came up with that exact same reply. Although my TV doesn't have those settings by name I was able to try various settings and somewhat reduce the Soap Opera Effect but it's still there..
    I mean, it's so clear it feels like you can reach in and touch the actors but it takes away much of "processed film large-ness" for lack of a better term that many movies have. Looks alot like the unprocessed footage they show on DVD/BR extras.
    Seriously though, my wife said Iron Man looked like an extremely crisp episode of the old Dr. Who.
    Strange.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you want to talk about a movie that looks like absolute garbage on the 120Hz tv's, it's the King Kong blu-ray. it was on display at best buy and you could definitely tell emma watson was standing in front of a green screen the ENTIRE movie.

5. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

My buddy has this on his new LCD, and it looks like crap! I am glad I have HD, but not like that....

6. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I know nothing about TVs... all I know is that when I bought my 32" Samsung LCD TV, I'm glad I got 720p. The difference between 720p and 1080p on TVs under 40" is negligible. Not blowing an extra $300 for such a small difference was a very good decision.

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

All the more reason to buy a plasma.:grrhee:

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The last TV I "bought" was a 720p Pioneer Elite plasma.
    Since that time my wife (who has the most incredible luck I've ever known) has twice won free 42' HD flat panels - including said LG 1080p. I did find the 120hz/60hz setting that kills the effect so all is good.
    Free is a good price. Especially twice.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

first of all, the 3D / Soap Opera effect has nothing to do with 1080p , it's an effect caused by 120hz processing on LCD displays. newer LCD's process at 240hz and while the effect is still present, it may not be as noticeable
    it is not an issue with Plasma, which newer units from Panasonic process at 600hz

10. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

and this is why plasma rules!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar