'07 NFL Draft: Grade Day One

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I dont get it...i just dont

why do we always have to do the wierd thing.....y cant we just draft on obviousness....i mean ....

robert M was still there in the first...we needed him

in the 2nd when we draft Q. moses was available at the DE spot...i mean c'mon now we need these guys

i wont grade us....u never know how ppl pan out till several yrs later...but i personally woulda prefered a WR and DE in the 1st and 2nd....but we got neiter till one in the 3rd

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

A+ - We didn't get Ginn.

3. E - for effort, no way to kno how these players are going to do until we see them in the game with our team

4. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

No TGJ!
    No Jarrett
    No Lynch

We drafted people with upside, kinda like VY.

5. ONUV

ONUV Starter

Vic Carucci's Analysis
    This is a bit of a surprise on two fronts. It seemed the Titans would go with a receiver here. It also seemed that Griffin might be selected a bit lower in the first round. He should provide some solid help, especially in run support. He has good coverage skills, but he still has plenty to learn and doesn't always show the greatest instincts.

Gil Brandt's Analysis
    Henry was a California state sprint champion in high school. He played as a freshman in two games at Arizona, then got hurt. Never started until getting the call four times last season. You're betting on potential here. He was impressive in workouts, but there's not a lot of game tape on him. High risk, high reward. If everything works out, Tennessee can hit a home run here.

nfl.com

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

B

I'd have taken Nelson over Griffin but we'll just have to see who turns out to be the better guy. The other picks are one's that will be either boom or bust.

I've graded it a B because I'm not a coach or a scout & I'll give our staff the benefit of the doubt.I'm starting to like the Henry pick.

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Our draft thus far

Griffin over Nelson? *sigh* Most of our would-be targets were gone by our pick in the first. Taking a safety tells us something about Lowry and Fuller so I can go with the staff on that, but I don't see how you take Griffin over Nelson. Food for thought: last year against USC, Texas' secondary was absolutely destroyed. One of their players was one of the best college safeties in recent memory. Are you telling me that TWO other players in the secondary were first round talents one year away from the draft? That's a bunch of BS. Nelson should have been the pick here.

Chris Henry. Way too high for him. My question is this: if he is so talented, how are you so unproductive in the PAC-10? I know he plays for Arizona, but there are a lot of very bad defenses in his league. There is no excuse for that. Granted, I haven't seen this kid play so maybe my judgment is premature, but, if he has all of the physical tools, he must be missing something. My guess is field vision, desire, or moves.

Paul Williams. Another kid I never saw play. I know that Fresno State usually racks up a lot of offense so his lack of production scares me. They say he has nice speed, but his highlight reel consisted of him going up over defenders to catch passes. I didn't see him separating from anyone. All of these are reasons why I might doubt this pick, but the number one reason that this was a horrible pick was because Charles Johnson went in the next pick. I wasn't a big fan of drafting DE as a need, but the other CJ was FAR AND AWAY the BPA at this point. I think that you have to find another spot to take a WR and get a steal like that, no matter what. Also, there was a huge run on receivers right before our pick, so it seems very likely to me that our FO panicked when they realized that all of the players they might have taken at WR were quickly disappearing so they were forced to take one here.

Overall, a very poor day. Very disappointing after a fruitless offseason. I am excited that we didn't take a cornerback early at least. I think this shows that the staff has a lot of confidence in Finnegan and even Hill. I was disappointed that we chose not to trade up for some of the talent that was there in the top of the 2nd.

Hey, at least we didn't take Ginn. :ha:

8. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

There's not a lot of tape on him because he couldn't get a starting job at a perennial 3 win ball club playing in the PAC-10. This pick was absolutely ridiculous. Henry wasn't even on my radar.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Though I hesitate to give a grade on day one, taking Griffin was a shocker to me. Not so much because of him as a player but because I felt Fuller and Lowry were both considered players with upside and one would push LT for the starter spot next season. I saw many more needs elsewhere.

Henry is a head-scratcher. I possibly take Irons here but Henry just didn't produce enough and I am not totally buying the "it was the system" argument. Time will tell. LenDale is officially on notice.

The Williams pick looked like a desperate one because WRs were flying off the board. Though Fisher said he was his guy anyway, I'm not buying it. It looks like this guy has less skill than what Roby brought and I thought the Titans would target someone in the mold of Mason or Wade. But, again, time will tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar